On Failure (And Other Things Typical of My Life)

No surprise here: I lack self-discipline and commitment.

I'd like to do better. [[Standard line]]

For approximately the sixth time, I am picking the blog back up. I'm stepping into the Light again, since I've hidden away for about nine months. I do have a laundry list of excuses, and they mostly consist of things like:

  • I worked all summer. It was busy.
  • My last semester of college was packed, and I couldn't justify writing a blog when my capstone paper was staring me in the face.
  • Working 8:00-5:00 is actually really hard; how do adults have time for anything besides work and sleep?
  • _____________ [[Fill in any excuse here; I've probably used it to justify not writing.]]

But there is one other reason I've been... avoiding the blog. 

I failed Seven.

I was doing okay until summer started, and then I kind of lost all the steam. [[If you missed my whole Seven escapade, check out my adventures pre-failure here, here, and here.]]

Here's how Seven was supposed to go:
  • June: Spending 
    • The goal of this month is to only spend money in seven places. Basically, you get groceries, gas, a variety of bills, and maybe a coffee shop.
  • July: Stress
    • By observing seven daily pauses, you're supposed to have month seven cap off the entire experience. It's a sort of refresh and reboot type of month.
Here's how Seven actually went:
  • June: Spending
    • You guys. As a 21-year-old college student, I really only spend my money in like four places. This month was so easy I stopped keeping track—which meant I definitely spent my money in way more than seven places because apparently I really like little coffee shops and movie dates with my people. Oops.
  • July: Wait what?
    • Seven was so over by this point. I'm not proud. But I spent a week of July in Guatemala, and the other three weeks working—and if you think I'm going to observe a daily pause in the middle of Dairy Queen's lunch rush, you obviously have never had the $5 lunch deal. I don't even think I breathed in July, let alone paused.

Honestly, friends, I felt like the adventure got less exciting in 2017. Somewhere in the year, I stopped thinking of it as the adventure. It's just been life. I started classes; I stressed a ton; I graduated; I go to work four days a week, and I spend the other three days catching up on sleep/Netflix/books.

I started 2017 in pursuit of Mercy. I ended 2017 in need of it.

I didn't do what I intended to do, so yes—I failed. But there have been millions of tiny little victories along the way. So, as I pick up this blogging thing [[weighing it out, testing the words on my fingertips again]], I'll leave you with this photo from 2017. I think it might be my theme for 2018. 

the pursuit is of righteousness, not perfection
•••
The journey, the space, the silence. All of it holy, holy, holy.
So we wait, in great expectation.

The journey will be marvelous, friends.

[[As always, to you who click these links even though they're notoriously sporadic: 
From the absolute bottom of my heart, thanks for sticking with me in this pursuit of righteousness.]]

Comments

  1. Great to see your name pop back up on my feed! Welcome back! Love the theme you chose for 2018. Makes me want to take a big sigh of relief. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment